This page includes links to research and policy centres which undertake Indigenous justice research and provide access to high quality, full text, free, online resources.
Found a broken link? Help us get it right. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you find a broken link.
Clearinghouses and Online Databases
Indigenous research centres
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
Areas of study: Languages and cultural expression, native title and traditional ownership, education and cultural transmission, governance development and public policy, health and wellbeing, and land and water.
- Indigenous Law Centre, University of New South Wales
Areas of study: Indigenous peoples and public law, Indigenous peoples and international law, Indigenous women and Australian democracy.
- Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University
Areas of study: Economic, cultural and social circumstances, economic development aspirations and alternate futures, governance, policy and the state, education, lifespan learning and youth.
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project, James Cook University
Areas of study: Legal service delivery, access to justice, civil law, family law, social justice and human rights
- Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning, University of Technology Sydney
Areas of study: Indigenous human rights, international law, public law, criminal justice.
- National Centre for Indigenous Studies, Australian National University
Areas of study: Governance and social justice, policy engagement, healthy lifestyles, education and knowledge, culture and heritage, repatriations, representation, identity.
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc.
Areas of study: Health and wellbeing.
Australian research centres
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
Areas of study: National Indigenous population statistics, social conditions, prisoners, corrections system, health, employment, social conditions.
- Australian Institute of Criminology
Areas of study: Deaths in custody, police custody, juveniles in detention, drug use among offenders, homicide, law and order, community safety.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
Areas of study: Health and welfare, workforce participation, housing and homelessness, child safety, school attendance.
- Australian Law Reform Commission
Areas of study: Legislation, law reform.
- Australian Institute of Family Studies
Areas of study: Child protection, violence and families, community support structures.
- Griffith Criminology Institute
Areas of study: Law, juvenile justice, Indigenous health, policing, prisons.
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW
Areas of study: Drug and alcohol harm prevention and treatment.
- National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University
Areas of study: Drug and alcohol harm reduction, early intervention, social contexts of drug use and addiction, drug use and the justice system.
- National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund
Areas of study: Drug and alcohol harm prevention and treatment, policing.
Selected Australian agencies
- Council of Australian Governments
Areas of study: Health, food security, education, community services.
- Australian Human Rights Commission
Areas of study: Social justice, human rights, family violence, health.
- Productivity Commission
Areas of study: Indigenous disadvantage, government services and expenditure.
- Commonwealth Parliamentary Library
Areas of study: Health, Indigenous disadvantage, government expenditure.
- NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research
Areas of study: Crime monitoring and evaluation.
- Judicial Commission of NSW
Areas of study: Sentencing, legal education, courts.
- NSW Sentencing Council
Areas of study: Sentencing.
- NSW Law Reform Commission
Areas of study: Criminal justice system, sentencing, law reform.
- NSW Parliamentary Research Service
Areas of study: Human rights, political representation, health, crime.
- Law and Justice Foundation of NSW
Areas of study: Access to justice and legal needs, evaluation.
- Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission
Areas of study: Justice research, community safety, policing.
- Queensland Centre for Domestic and Family Violence Research
Areas of study: Domestic and family violence, various.
- Queensland Health Statistics Branch
Areas of study: Health, health administration.
- Queensland Law Reform Commission
Areas of study: Law reform, family law processes.
- SA Office of Crime Statistics and Research
Areas of study: Crime monitoring and evaluation, justice.
- Law Reform Commission of Western Australia
Areas of study: Law reform, customary law, criminal justice system.
- Drug and Alcohol Office (WA)
Areas of study: Impacts of drugs and alcohol.
- Victorian Sentencing Advisory Council
Areas of study: Sentencing.
Selected New Zealand agencies and centres
International research centres